Pet Surgery Services in Fort Mill
Many pets will require surgery at some point in their lives, whether it’s a routine spay/neuter procedure or something more complex. Palmetto Pet Hospital’s state-of-the-art surgical suite is equipped to perform a wide variety of soft tissue surgeries, including spaying/neutering, wound care, and mass removal. For any complex or orthopedic procedures, we can refer you to a reputable specialist in the area.
We use the safest anesthetics to accommodate pets of all ages and health statuses, including high-risk patients. We also use advanced equipment to monitor each patient’s vital signs before, during, and after surgery. As with every other service we offer, we’ll keep your pet’s safety and comfort at the forefront while they’re in our care.
What to Expect Before Your Pet’s Surgery
The following are the steps we take before performing every pet surgery:
- Weigh in and pre-anesthetic physical exam
- Pre-anesthetic blood work (to determine if your pet is healthy enough for anesthesia/surgery)*
- Pain medication administration
- Placement of IV catheter for fluids, medications, and anesthesia
- Anesthesia administration
- Sterile surgery preparation (includes shaving/clipping fur and sterilizing skin)
- Constant monitoring of vitals (heart rate, EKG, blood pressure, etc.)
*If any health problems or other concerns are detected in the results of your pet’s blood work, we may have to postpone the surgery and treat the problems first.
What to Expect After Your Pet’s Surgery
After your pet’s surgery is complete, we will gradually reduce the anesthesia and provide additional pain medication as needed. We will then move your pet to a comfortable recovery area, where we will continue to monitor them. While your pet is recovering, we’ll call to provide you with an update and let you know your pet is ready to be picked up. We’ll provide you with discharge instructions, including pain medications and recovery expectations. Please feel free to contact us at any time while your pet is recovering if you have any questions or concerns.